Thursday, January 19, 2006

Days 1&2 Settling In

Local Time: 2:09pm
So Hello! I'm actually in Hong Kong!!! Ok no more exclamatory remarks. It took me a while to get my comp sync'ed up with the techie things here but we're online and good to go.

So to sum up the boring travel things: Plane came in on time, I flew through customs, my bags were the first ones off the belt (miracle and together too) and I was in a cab and to my dorm in no time. Checked in, moved in, unpacked and collapsed. Met the roomie (Tracy, more about her to come) and went to orientation Thursday morning.

Orientation was as expected, long generally boring, but there were a ton of exchange students there, I'd say over 40 from the US alone. Lots of others from mainland china, Singapore, Japan and Korea and a decent showing from Australia and Canada. The others were from assorted places in Europe.

So interesting things:
This is my tiny room.


The pink bed is mine (because in China I do everything different I decided to go all out on my girlyness) The mess on that side of the room is mine too.


This is the building that contains my room. Sorry about the quality on these its been foggy. Wei Lun Hall is 14 floors and you have to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the elevator. So much for handicapped accessible. There's a rumor that there's another American and an aussie on my floor but I've yet to meet them.


This is the view from our window. Unfortunately I took these on a foggy day so you'll have to use your imagination. The green in the background of the second one is actually a lovely green mountain.


For those concerned about my health the large white building across the street is a hospital.

Ok a few words about my roomie and then I'll save the rest for another day. Tracy Wu is from mainland China and is a freshman. She's supercute (pic soon) and very nice and helpful. Her English is very passable and she's a math major. She speaks mandarin and Cantonese and is starting Japanese this semester. She's also in the process of immigrating to the U.S. She's bound for LA where she has family.

Until next time, leave some comments and questions (especially questions) cuz there's so much to say I don't really know where to start. Or stop. hmm.

Love!
Abby

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you arrived a settled so quickly. The pink bedspread was a shock. If you are going to do everything different then you need to CLEAN YOUR ROOM!

Kohler was fabulous. Ann and I are preparing to move into the spa permanently. When you come home, just call the spa and book a service - we will love to see you here!

Lots of love!

1/20/2006 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, glad to see you made it OK. If you give me your address I'll send you a nice big poster of Steve Perry to put guard over your blank wall.

1/21/2006 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home