Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I'm a Commute Addict

Here are some reasons I love walking to school

1. Its good exercise. For a girl who's never seen the inside of a gym, two forty-minute hilly walks a day is primo exercise

2. It gives me a glow. All that walking in the wind gives my face a flush thats quite becoming.

3. Its good for my hair. A little sweat on my scalp makes my hair curl and gives it volume.

4. I feel like a model. With the speeding traffic just inches away from the sidewalk, there's a blustery wind that picks up my hair like in a photoshoot windtunnel.

5. It makes me wear flat shoes. I bought flat shoes just to wear here, but my natural inclination is to reach for the heels. I tried that once and regretted it so now I'm wearing flats like all the locals

6. It prevents injury. Tall shoes are bad for my legs. Being forced to wear my flats is repairing the damage already done and preventing the stress fracture Dr. Emily predicted.

7. It improves my mood. No matter what state I set out in, by the time I'm done walking I'm in a good mood. I don't know if its those endorphins I've heard so much about or 40 minutes of thinking about that windtunnel thing, but my walk is like taking an upper.

8. It gives me time to think. The world is full of pressing questions and I have time to ponder them seriously while I walk. 'Do the Chinese use abbreviations? If each word is only one symbol how do you shorten that?' and 'Is my right butt cheek flatter than my left since my bookbag rests more comfortably there? If it is how do I even them out?' Before I started walking I don't know when I managed to figure these things out.

9. Its cheaper than the bus. If a penny saved is a penny earned then I earn $2 every time I walk. Now $2 in HK is only about 25cents but I figure by the end of the semester I'll have earned myself a new pair of shoes.

10. Its less terrifying than the bus. While I've figured out the routes and schedules, the bus is still a scary place. The drivers yell at everyone in Chinese and hurtle through the streets like Czech taxi drivers. I surprised every time I get off the bus alive.

Now its not all rainbows and bunnies. There are a few things I dislike about my walk-
Its long, sweaty, windy and makes me wear flat shoes.

But every silver lining has its dark cloud right?
(Ok Randa, I'll quote it but I still don't know where we heard it.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Every silver lining's got a touch of grey" is from "Touch of Grey" by Grateful Dead, but I don't know if that counts.

1/26/2006 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home