Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I'm a product of my Environment, y'all

Its sad but true. Going to class today proves it. I've developed some very Southern inclinations.

To start, I'll tell you a bit about class here at HKU. My class today, a 2-hour lecture in Supply Chain Development and Management, started at 10:50. At 10:45, I came in and took a seat amongst only 3 other students. By 10:50 the classroom was about half-full (maybe 30 students) and very noisy. Everyone sat to the very back of the class (not hard as there were only eight rows in a very wide roundish room) and everyone seems to be old old friends. At 10:52 Dr. Ng flicks on the projector, turns off the lights and starts talking into the microphone. Little Abby shuts her mouth puts her pencil at the ready and gives her full attention to the teacher. Every other person just sort of keeps chatting. After a few seconds the chatter quiets, but does not stop. It just continues at a lower volume. Also for the next 45 minutes students continue to trickle in. There were 3 people who came in chattering and laughing together literally 35 minutes after class started. They came in, plopped down in the third row and continued to talk amongst themselves. And all I could think was 'how incredibly disrespectful.' Strike one. Respect for one's elders and instructors, an idea in the north- a practice in the south.

As I'm trekking around campus I've found the best ways to get around this campus in a hillside is by cutting through buildings, using elevators to get from front to back. I am constantly expecting the door to be held open for me. Especially when there are men going through before me or waiting on the other side. But men of all ages are dropping doors in my face. Its particularly surprising when they open the door and instead of holding it for you, they cut you off and barge through themselves. Strike two.

And finally, I'm a freak. I keep grinning like a fool at every person I meet eyes with on the street and I keep getting mouth smiles back. That quick, closed lip, mouth only smile that acknowledges you. No smiling cheeks or eyes. I'm just friendlier than them. Because I'm a southerner. A painful but seemingly true fact.

What have you dont to me South Carolina?!?!?!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of your southern herritage. It's good to know that we've rubbed off on you after these brief years. Break them Hong Kong people in next. Pay it foward or something.

1/24/2006 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home