Thursday, January 26, 2006

Ladies Man, Man's Man, Man About Town.... But a Woman Obviously.

So its been a jampacked couple of days, full of excitement. First I'd like to say that I wrote an entire blog yesterday just about my Gender and Sexual Diversity class (which I am super excited about) after which my comp froze and lost it. Later when I had recovered enough to consider a rewrite I noticed that my battery was dying because the electricity on my side of the room had gone out. So here we are nearly 24hours since the original disaster and I dare not broach the subject for fear of continued technology malfunction. You'll just have to wait.

I am willing, however, to tell you about more recent events. I've got I guess three little stories, so I'll break them up for your reading pleasure.

Wei Lun High Table Dinner
Last night was our first High Table Dinner which is a monthly event for each hall. The dinner is free (or rather you already paid for it with your hall dues) and it was held at the Bay View Restaurant. Which I might mention is refered to by students as the "cafeteria" and was named either 50 years ago, or with irony because though the windows face the bay, they are so overgrown with trees and bushes you cannot actually see the bay. We generally choose not to eat here because the food is.... sketch. Hannah (the aussie on my floor) once had french toast there that tasted like soy sauce.

Now High Table Dinner is a fancy little event, girls are required to wear skirts or dresses and all black and the gents show up in suits and ties. Although these HK boys are big into the brightly colored shirts and ties so they were a might more festive that we. I was in fine form, my straight black skirt and a turtleneck with dangley earrings and my little black and gold flats.

The seating arrangements are set up so that you sit at a table with girls from your floor and gentlemen from another. The 4th floor is apparently dating the 12th floor so 6 of us were seated with 3 12th floor boys. We apparently smelled bad because the other 3 chairs never were filled. Being losers of course Ally (from MO) and Hannah and I all sat together. Lucky too, because the other 3 girls chatted furiously in Cantonese. Unlucky was finding out that both Ally and Hannah are veggies. The menu for the evening included: Fried crab, broccoli in oyster sauce, pigeon, sweet and sour pork, two whole fish (heads and eyes still intact much to Hannah's horror) and rice. And fruit for dessert. As it turns out, being a vegitarian in HK is rather diffficult. And being a vegitarian anywhere in the world is retarded. In my opinion.

So the food was ok, the tea was horrendous (Hannah: "This tastes like a ashtray smells.") The company was sorta mediocre too, one of our boys (Keith) was an American, but the traitor speaks fluent Cantonese, and the big round tables aren't really cohesive to conversation across them anyway. The only real nonsense that went on was the singing of the Hall Song (the longest song ever concieved by man which nearly everyone knew by heart and we are pretty sure is to the tune of the Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory song (original movie). This thing had like 12 verses and girls parts and boys parts and harmony and everything. Other than that they just had us stand to welcome the guests of honor (who were apparently University Heads of something or other) and we had to wait to be excused.

After dinner was a Hall Meeting with a speaker and presentation of some sort which we were excused from as it was to be entirely in Cantonese. At this point the decision is made to abandon hall activities in favor of hitting the town. Attempts were made to drag Keith along, but apparently he is a good person and attended the Cantonese thing instead of faking that he wouldn't understand. Thus ended my first High Table Dinner, which according to reliable sources "Has really gone downhill. These things just aren't what they used to be." Tragic.

How to be a cliche exchange student, Why I hate girls, and The Navy rocks.
As all Cantonese-speaking locals were trapped at the Hall Meeting the hitting the town crew ended up being all international students.

A profile of the crew: Hannah the crazy Aussie, Ally the American Vegan, Beth the Cali/Berkley half-Chinese on her mother's side girl, Rudolf the Hungarian Aussie, and two other guys with forgettable names that I believe were also forgettable Canadian. Later two Swedes joined us, but they are not important in our story.

After a quick cigarrette (I am positively the only international student who does not smoke) and a change of clothes, the 7 of us caught a bus to the downtown area (which has a Chinese name I cannot at this time spell) also known as the Red-Light District. There are about a thousand bars smashed in between a thousand strip clubs. Wednesday night is ladies night most places and, as it turns out, the US Navy was in town so everyplace was packed. Eventually we found a place with enough free table space for us all to sit down.

We killed about 2 hours there, and due to the cramped space and ackward seating arrangements I basically just chatted with Rudolf the whole time. And being an Aussie born in Hungary who has just lived 3 years in Europe, he was fascinating. We love all the same things about Europe and hate all the same things about hanging out with the international crowd. Eventually things got too uncomfortable with at the other table (I found out later that one of my girls had slept with one of the forgettable Canadians the night before and she is still interested, but he was being cool. Girls are so stupid.)

As it was now about quarter-past twelve, most of the bars were closing and everything was looking quiet so we hopped some cabs and went up to [some street with all the night clubs that has an unspellable Chinese name] where we met up with the Swedes. The place to go seemed to be a club called insomnia where there was live music and no cover charge for ladies.

The band was actually really good, an asian band that played a lot of Black-Eyed-Peas covers as well as a bunch of other rercognizable American music. The downside of Insomnia is that it was so crowded we couldn't get a table and so loud we couldn't talk. Which was actually fine with me because in the cab ride over with the girls I had heard phrases like "I need to learn to love myself" and "Relationship sex is always better, but he was pretty good for a one-night-stand". Reiteration of how dumb girls can be. Also how much these particular girls aren't really my style.

The major plus of Insomnia is that there were tons of young American Navymen there looking to celebrate. They were all on their way home from the middle east.

Now the girls said they's like to meet some cute guys and dance which is apparently code for 'we want to stand around and shoot guys down and then go pout and cry in the ladies room' Abby politely attended one weepy trip to the bathroom and gave a hug and danced with cute guys. They were all from Cali and all having a blast in HK.

Eventually the fun of half-heartedly dancing and elbowing guys away wore off and the boys we came with weren't really having a better time (I don't think the white boys really dance) and so we headed home. After 12 the buses don't run so two cabs brought us all back to Wei Lun at about 2am.

How Buffalo Soldier became the theme song for great butts
After class today I had to run to the Wellcome in the mall and thought I'd treat myself to a latte treat while I was there. There is a lovely little coffee shop in the mall where you can get a ham and cheese croissant and a vanilla latte for the equivalent of $4US.

While I'm sipping my beverage I notice this British guy sitting at the next table wearing great jeans, a black turtleneck and gorgeous green eyes. I know he's British because I heard him talk to the server guy. I just sort of enjoy the view for a few minutes because he has a really pretty face with that sort of constant, rugged 5 o'clock shadow and perfectly gelled, professionally tousled hair and the afore-mentioned green eyes.

Part of the appeal of this particular java joint is the unpredictable mix of music that plays there. There's no theme, no time period, no genre, its not even all a consistent language. So just after the song Buffalo Soldier by Bob Marley comes on, GreenEyes needs a napkin or a fork or something and he gets up and walks across the cafe.

HOLY CRAP!!! Nicest Butt I've ever seen. Ever. Its epic. To quote the great Rod Burgandy "I want to be friends with it. I mean it is gooood." He's got those really good-fitting pants on that are a little distressed and its basically the highlight of my week. Best latte I ever had.

Anyway at this point I slow the pace so I can enjoy this creature as long as possible and I managed to nibble my croissant through "Still Rock 'n Roll to Me" by Billy Joel, "Come Away With Me" by Norah Jones, some J-Pop ballad, and most-notedly "The Blower's Daughter" by Damien Rice durning which he removed his turtleneck revealing a rather snug t-shirt that indicated what was on top was just as good as the bottom half.

Best Latte I ever had.

Until next time!
Abby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home