Monday, June 05, 2006

Breastastic in Hookerland - The End of the Hong Kong Era

I'm listening to Leaving on a Jet Plane (Me First and the Gimme Gimmes version).

I'm pretty sad.

I had a top-notch last day though. Hannah made her famous pancakes and chocolate sauce for breakfast, and since "breakfast" is after noon, Harj and Thijs came over on their lunch break to partake of the meal. I suspect they aren't doing that much work, they lingered over lunch for like 2 hours. Anna got to eat with us as well, its an Austrian holiday.

I spent the rest of the afternoon packing and managed to fit everything I wanted to take home into my two suitcases. I didn't even have to put extra nonsense in my carry-ons. I'm an amazing packer. I should win an award or something.

For dinner the kids all went to the Shanghainese restaurant on the top floor of Times Square (remember mom? we went there your first day in HK). It was fairly delicious, and the cast was good as well- Michael, Hannah, H's mom, Anna, Harj and Thijs. After dinner Mikey went to pick up his own mommy and daddy at the airport. The rest of us went for drinks at Illy then twentyone. mmmmm whiskey.

We were home before 1 (absolutely unheard of), said our goodbyes and parted ways. But not really, because I still visited H and Anna's rooms and then had to call Harj because I was so depressed. Its really odd to try and say goodbye to the people that have been your family for six months knowing you may never see them again. Next week I won't be complaining about being at Old China Hand for 4 hours, or hanging out in the pantry with the girls. Everyone will be back to the life they had before we met. The best I can really hope for is that they are thinking of me when they talk about Hong Kong. My exchange kids are Hong Kong to me, coming back without them wouldn't be returning to a Hong Kong I know. Okay enough sap.

Packing was an adventure. In the insane humidity here, my things were actually molding. I know what you are thinking: "Abby is a filthy person who never cleans. No surprise that her stuff started an ecosystem under her desk." But no, its not just because I never clean. Hannah is much tidier than me and she has the mold as well. Now I understand why my lungs hate me--I'm living in a high mold environment. Its pretty gross.

It was fun to purge the old wardrobe as well. You wouldn't imagine that throwing out your own things would be fun, but its so rewarding to feel like your stuff doesn't own you. I lightened the load, I'm ready for my nomadic life. But not really, I still have so much stuff I need Hannah to help me wrangle it. Think about what it was like before I threw out a trash bag full of clothes.

Sorry this is long. I've got a lot on my mind. I am sort of excited to get home and see all the Manteno and Wilmington crowds, and I'm certainly looking forward to a much overdue haircut, but I'm fearful of the culture shock. Old exchangers say the transition back is worse than the transition into study abroad. I imagine its because you are expected to be comfortable in your homeland, no one helps you ease into it. I may lock myself in my room for a few days while I get used to the idea of America. I'll need a tv, some mexican food, and some personal space.

Well the plan for the morning is check in, get breakfast at the Flying Pan and head off. I suppose this means I should get some sleep (its now 2:15 and I have to leave at 8). On the other hand, I hate to be sensible. Not much chance to leave my mark on Hong Kong, so I hope the damage is done.

Farewell Hong Kong-
Abby

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do remember our first meal in a Hong Kong highrise mall restaurant. And the look on Aunt Linda's face went the first course arrived. And how she said she didn't use chopsticks. All lies.

6/05/2006 6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call us when you are ready for a visit! Lets plan to do lunch on Friday! That would be eating around Noon not getting out of bed at Noon!

6/06/2006 5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abby my love..sorry I didn't make it on that night...Didn't get to say the tearful goodbye. I hope you don't break up with me on facebook, or else I will be really sad.

I miss your breastatic assets!

6/07/2006 2:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home